The Department of State ServiceKwara State commandhas issued a security alert to the Kwara State Police Commandwarning of a possible attack on the Gbabe community in Baruten Local Government Area.
The alert comes days after a deadly assault on the Woro community in Kaiama LGAwhich left scores of residents dead.
A copy of the lettersigned by the State Director of DSS in KwaraJ.S. Adamsand dated February 52026was addressed to the Commissioner of PoliceKwara State Command HeadquartersIlorinamid rising insecurity across the Kwara North axis.
The letterreferenced S.122/1/1897 and titled Threat of Attack on GbabeBaruten LGAwarned of the movement and build-up of armed men suspected to be Mamuda elements around Kiyoru Settlement in Gwanara District.
“Report indicates possible threat of attack by armed groupon Gbabe CommunityGwanara DistrictBaruten Local Government Area (LGA)Kwara State. This stemmed from the build-up of armed men suspected to be Mamuda elements around Kiyoru Settlementeven as the villagers have expressed hostility towards the elements,” the letter read.
It further highlighted the history of violent activities by armed groups operating around Kainji Lake National Park and stressed the need for heightened vigilance in communities within the corridor.
“In view of the antecedents of armed groups around Kainji Lake National Parkthere is a need to emplace necessary security measures to forestall any untoward development,” the DSS added.
The letter urged the police to treat the intelligence with urgency and take appropriate measures to prevent a breakdown of law and order.
“Respectfully forwarded for your attention and necessary actionplease,” it concluded.
The alert has heightened concerns among residents and local leaderscoming days after the Woro attackwhere armed men reportedly killed scores and forced survivors to flee. Eyewitnesses indicated that the attackers operated from forested areas spanning Kaiama and Baruten LGAs and extending towards the Benin Republica route security agencies have repeatedly identified as vulnerable.
As of the time of filingsecurity deployments had been reinforced in parts of Kaiama following the Woro incidentwhile residents of Baruten LGA expressed anxiety over the threat outlined in the DSS letter.
Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq also convened an emergency security council meeting with heads of security agencies on Monday night at Ahmadu Bello HouseIlorin.
The governor said the meeting aimed to review the security situation and strengthen coordinated efforts to neutralise emerging threats.
“As part of our multi-layered response to the recent terrorist attack in Kaiama LGAI summoned an emergency security council meeting at the Ahmadu Bello House in Ilorin today,” AbdulRazaq said.
The governor received briefings from all the security commanders in the state and discussed strategies to neutralise all threats to citizens and secure lives and property.
EarlierGovernor Usman Ododo (Kogi) and Biodun Oyebanji (Ekiti) had accompanied AbdulRazaq to visit victims of the Woro attack receiving treatment at the General HospitalIlorin.
“We stand in solidarity with the people of Kwara State over this unfortunate incident.
“We also commend the Federal Government and security agencies for the swift response. The victims are stable but remain under close watch in the intensive care unit,” Oyebanji said.
OPC seeks security emergency
The Yoruba socio-cultural groupthe Oodua People’s Congresshas urged governors of the South-West zoneKwaraKogi and other states described as “Yoruba-speaking” to immediately declare a state of emergency over escalating insecurity.
The OPC made the call in a statement issued by the Chairman of Dr. Frederick Fasehun’s OPC Caretaker CommitteeKazeem Lawalon Tuesday.
The statement followed the recent killing of over 100 persons in Woro and Nuku communities in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State.
The OPC described the killings as heartbreaking and provocativeinsisting that the jihadist terrorists who committed the crime must be hunted down and shot on the spot by security agents.
Lawal cautioned governors of the South-West and other states with Yoruba-speaking indigenes against politicising the prevailing insecurityurging them instead to collaborate in proffering and procuring rapid solutions.
“Governors of the 10 Yoruba-speaking states must immediately declare a state of emergency on security to reflect the gravity of the situation. With these rampaging terroristsbandits and jihadists and their activitiesall Nigerians face an existential threatand all hands must be mobilised to identifylocate and neutralise these evil monsters,” Lawal said.
The organisation urged the Federal Governmentthe Kwara State Government and security agencies to declare a massive manhunt to locate and apprehend the killers.
“Those who committed this dastardly act are not spirits. All available resources must be mobilised to hunt downarrestprosecute and annihilate these killers,” Lawal said.
Lawal said the only way to redress last week’s killings in Kwara communities was through the apprehensionprosecution and execution of those responsible.
“Such cold-blooded killers do not deserve a second chance. They should be shot on sight to give them a dose of their own medicine and serve as a deterrent to others planning to follow in their evil footsteps. These killers have committed a wicked crime against God and humanity and must be made to suffer supreme punishment,” he said.
Declaring its readiness to defend Yoruba land and peoplethe OPC warned that it would not allow terrorists to fester and overwhelm the South-West as they haveaccording to itdone in the North.
“We shall not cede the land of our birth to Fulani herdsmen and Islamist jihadists,” Lawal said. “We will defend ourselves and will not fold our hands while foreigners invade our landskidnappingrapingpillaging and killing at will.
“Whatever criminalities banditsjihadists and terrorists have perpetrated in the North should remain in the Northbecause we Yoruba people will not tolerate such in our homelands.
“Nigerians wonder why the authorities continue to pamper these hoodlums. Why are agencies not arresting anyone found roaming with AK-47 assault rifles? Insteadthe security agencies that are supposed to defend the lives and assets of our people choose to go after those who muster the courage to defend themselves.
“We will not seek or wait for permission from anyone to defend ourselves with everything at our disposal. As we have done in the pastthe OPC shall do everything to defend our land and people.”
The group urged the Nigeria Policeother security agencies and the Armed Forces to be proactive rather than reactionary in tackling non-state actors troubling the country.
According to the OPCthe heightened insecurity appeared to be a ploy deliberately targeted at undermining the government of President Bola Tinubu.